wagon Broadway 1759
On 24th May 1759 the Berrows Worcester Journal reported that the stage
wagon belonging to Mr Tanner of Worcester, while on its way back from
London, caught fire in the vicinity of Broadway. It was thought that
the fire had been caused by the bursting of a bottle of nitric acid.
Much of the valuable load, which included a quantity of fine silks,
was either destroyed or badly damaged.
According to the newspaper (see below), the unfortunate Mr Tanner had
only recently sustained a, "considerable loss", when
his wagon overturned whilst crossing the River Avon. They predicted
that he would be saved from ruin because the owners of the goods he
was carrying would, "through compassionate concern",
bear part of the loss.
"ON Tuesday, as
the stage wagon of Mr Tanner of Worcester was on its way back from London,
it passed through the river Avon near Bengeworth, Evesham, when the
horses suddenly plunged out of their depth and three of them were drowned.
stream being excessively rapid, the wagon was forced off its wheels
and carried above a mile down the river, whereby great damage was done
to it, but the woman and boy inside the wagon were happily saved by
some persons that went in boats to their assistance, who took them out
by cutting their way through the top.
Mr Tanner and his man rode on the two fore horses in order to direct
the team through the water and both narrowly escaped being drowned.
Mr Tanner, in particular, was taken out for dead but, by proper means
being used, he was brought to himself and is now likely to recover and